Important: New Update System – Please Update Your V2 Themes
In an effort to provide better overall experience for our customers and to allow us to distribute updates faster and seamlessly, we’ve implemented a completely new update and registration system. Our previous system was in place from the start and saw very few upgrades along the way which eventually led to frequent unreliability in both notifications of updates as well as properly delivering those update files, as well as being extremely time intensive when it came to actually publishing updates.
So, we decided to start from scratch and implement a new integrated system. This means we can push updates much faster, more reliably and more importantly, more frequently. Going forward, all themes will now use this system, and updates have been published to all V2 themes, as well as the Mason theme to enable the new system. The new update system utilizes a new License Key format and requires the themes to be registered to be notified of, and to download theme updates.
How does change this affect you?
If you currently have a V2 theme or the Mason theme, and have already registered your theme – this won’t impact you at all. We’ve made the system backwards compatible with the old License Key format for the time being, so you can still update your theme normally. However we strongly recommend that you log into your account on our site and update your theme registration with the new keys listed in the Licenses tab. This will ensure you are able to receive updates and notifications going forward, as we will eventually disable the old key format.
If you have NOT already registered your V2 or Mason theme – automatic updates will not work (though since the theme is not registered they will not have worked anyway), nor will attempting to register the theme, with either old or new keys. In order to update your theme, you will need to do so manually (instructions provided below). Once you have updated to the most recent version, you can then visit the License Management page in the theme and register the theme with the New keys listed in the My Account section of our website. After the theme is registered, any new updates will show in your theme’s Dashboard and you will be able to update the theme automatically using the WordPress updater.
How to update your theme manually:
- You will first need to visit the My Account section of our website, and download the .zip file for the current version of your theme, this is located in the Downloads tab. Make sure the .zip file stays in tact, if after downloading, all you see is a folder, this means your browser is set to automatically unzip files upon download, you will need to turn this off in your browser’s preferences and re-download the zip file.
- Once you have downloaded the .zip file log into your site’s admin and navigate to Appearance->Themes, in the WordPress sidebar.
- Activate another theme, it does not matter which, this simply allows you to delete the current version of your theme so that you can upload the new. You do not need to worry about losing any customizations or options selections, as these are saved in the database.
- After activating another theme, click on the ‘Theme Details’ button that appears when hovering the theme’s screenshot. (if you are using WordPress version 3.7.1 or below, you can skip this step, as this did not exist until 3.8)
- The Theme Details popup will appear and in the lower right hand corner is a red link titled ‘Delete’. Click this link to delete the current version of your theme.
- After deleting the old version, click the ‘Add New’ button at the top of the page, this will take you to a screen to upload the .zip file you downloaded from your account. After the .zip file has uploaded, be sure to click the ‘Activate’ link to re-enable the theme.
- After enabling the theme you’ll notice a new sub-menu of the theme’s option page, titled ‘License Management’. This is the page you will need to enter your New license keys and email address to activate the theme and enable Auto-Updates.